As Heard on The Stephanie Miller Show

SodaStream USA No Batteries Banner 4

Friday, November 07, 2008

Prop 8 Protest: A Cavalcade of Coverage

I am reminded of the Stonewall Inn Riots of 1969. As I said last night, this is the beginning of a new movement. The election of Barack Obama was an historic night, and it swelled me with pride, but it was deflated when I saw and realized exactly how much we have to go to get to total freedom.

Here is a sample of what has been going on in Los Angeles the last few days.

You just do not take a persons rights away. And unlike the straight population, these people outside the norm are not sitting down and taking it.

This is video from KPIX in SF about a protest in Sacramento

And this from Melissa Ethridge, who married Tammy Lynn Micheals 5 years ago:

How mad is Melissa Etheridge about California's rejection of gay marriage? Mad enough to withhold her taxes.

The rocker, married five years to actress Tammy Lynn Michaels, posted a fiery blog Thursday about the passage of Proposition 8, which limits marriage to heterosexual couples.

"I am taking that to mean I do not have to pay my state taxes because I am not a full citizen," Etheridge wrote at thedaily beast.com. "I mean, that would just be wrong, to make someone pay taxes and not give them the same rights."

The idea, she wrote, also could extend to other gay Californians: "I am sure Ellen [DeGeneres] will be a little excited to keep her bazillion bucks that she pays in taxes too."

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/people/1265854,CST-FTR-eth07.article

It is NOT over.

No comments: