As Heard on The Stephanie Miller Show

SodaStream USA No Batteries Banner 4

Monday, July 31, 2006

Malibu Apocalypto


For those who love to see the migty fall face foward into a pile of thier own leavings, this has been a glorious weekend.

First, poor Lindsey Lohan gets her ass handed to her by her studion for constant worl cancellations for things like heat exhaustion (read: too many parties)....

Then there's Mel Gibson.

Lindsay's problems can be solved simply....stay sober and show up on time.

Mel, on the other hand....

Unless you have been under a rock, this weekend, Mr. Gibson was stopped for speeding down LA's Pacific Coast Highway. When the breathalyser ranked him, he was beyond drunk.....closer to embalmed.

Nothing unusual....that would have gotten a two-liner and a couple of jokes. But like many drunks, Melsy had to open his big mouth.

And in a police report that would have been silenced if it wasn't for Harvey Levin (yeah, that guy on People's Court) and his blog, who got the original report before it was remodeled.

Proctor & Gamble and Amway, working together on 24-hour shifts, for three weeks straight, could not come with enough soap needed to clean out the mouth of Mr. Braveheart.

Lets see, we start with calling a female officer "Sugar Tits." Then a few words threatening the officers.

Oh, but the anti-semetic stuff!

All of it lovingly detailed on Levin's tmz.com site. If you notice, I will not repeat what was said by Mel at the station.

But this is what he said in a carefully written apology, with......I'm sure......his legal team looking over:

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said
things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable.


"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I
was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person.


"I disgraced myself and my family with my behaviour and for that I am
truly sorry.


"I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life
and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."
http://movienews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Movies/virginMoviesNewsDetail/0,15384,1374420_movies,00.html

Nice.

The reaction has been swift, and not kind. One producer who wants to remail nameless has said he doubted Gibson could ever get over the anti-Semitism taint.


"The drunk-driving stuff, you can get over that if you've got box-office clout," the producer said. "But you can't get over the fact this is a Jewish town. Frankly, I don't know how he can walk into a meeting in this town ever again. (Source: The Austrailian)

So far, he has had TV deal gone sour, and his studio is wondering what to do with Apocalypto, the Mayan-language adventure planned for Xmas release.

The bigger problem is who want to work with the guy again.

If you remember when Mel was plugging Passion of the Christ, the movie was seen as having an anti-Jew taint. Mel's dad did not help much. A passionate denier of the Holacaust, Hutton Gibson has said "Go and ask an undertaker or the guy who operates the crematorium what it takes to get rid of a dead body," to the New York Times in 2003. "It takes one liter of petrol and 20 minutes. Now, 6 million?"

For his part, Mel never said he disagreed with Dad, although he had plenty of times to do it.

However, Mel said that Passion was not an anti-semetic work and that he was not one either.

You lying scheming stinking nasty sack of liquid crap. Mr. Gibson.

May we now add hypocrite as well.

The question now is, who want to work with a man who has said such horrid things. He may be in alcohol rehab, but what of rehab of the heart. Would a trip through the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles change it. Or talking with holacaust survivors?

I used to like Mel. I still think that Lethal Weapon 2 was, frame for frame, the best action movie ever made. I think he is a highly talented filmmaker and storyteller. But this trumps it all.

If you want my business, it's simple. Renounce your dad on this one thing. Hutton Gibson is wrong. His hatred is wrong. And your accepting it is extremely wrong.

Renouce the hatred. Otherwise, from here on, personally, you are no one to me.

No comments: