As Heard on The Stephanie Miller Show

SodaStream USA No Batteries Banner 4

Friday, May 12, 2006

Girl, 11, will be Britain's youngest mother

Girl, 11, will be Britain's youngest mother By IAN DRURY, Daily Mail
A girl is to become Britain's youngest mother after becoming pregnant at 11.
The girl smokes 20 cigarettes a day despite being eight months' pregnant. She conceived aged 11 when she lost her virginity to a boy of 15 on a drunken night out with friends.
The 15-year-old has since been charged with rape by police, and is due to appear again at Edinburgh sheriff court on July 10.
Her 34-year-old mother, who gave birth to her youngest child eight months ago, said she was 'proud' of her daughter.
She will be 12 years and 8 months when she has the child next month. Jenny Teague, Britain's youngest mother until now, was a month older when she gave birth in 1997.
How can we best tackle this problem? Tell us in reader comments below
The youngster, who lives near Edinburgh, says looking after her younger brothers has prepared her for motherhood.
But the girl admits she "panics and cries" when babies are unwell and does not feel able to bathe them.
The mother-to-be, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had unprotected sex with the teenage boy, who also cannot be identified, while drunk last August.
'Excited'
She told the Sun: "I didn't think I'd get pregnant because it was my first time. But I'm really excited and looking forward to being a mum.
"I can't wait to take the baby swimming and out for walks in the pram. I think I'll be able to cope as I've had lots of practice looking after my brothers.
"I know how to feed a baby its bottle and I can change nappies. But I panic and cry if they're sick and I don't like giving them a bath because I'm a bit frightened.
"It's good to know I'll have my mum here to help me if I need her."
Concerned she might be pregnant, the girl visited a GP three times but tests proved negative. She learned the truth after buying a home-testing kit from a supermarket.
After the device displayed two blue lines, indicating she was pregnant, she pleaded with a female relative to break the news to her mother. The girl, who has been suspended from her first year of secondary school for fighting, said: "I was paranoid about what my mum was going to say and just frightened about being pregnant too.
"I knew straight away that I couldn't have an abortion because that's something I don't believe in.
"I was upset and so was my mum, especially as she'd just had my wee brother. We had a big argument and I ended up locking myself in my room and running away to a friend's.
"It was really hard but it's brought me and my mum closer, which is good. I knew my mum would stand by me no matter what, but I told her straight away I was going to keep the baby.
"The social worker suggested I got rid of it but I'd never do that."
Smoking at nine
The girl, who has shoulder-length dark hair, began smoking at nine and started drinking tonic wine and vodka cocktails at ten. She claimed her cigarette habit was not harming the health of her unborn child.
She said: "I can give up smoking at any time, but I don't find it affects my pregnancy."
The girl, whose parents split up several years ago, said she would like a baby boy - and may call him Leo.
She is currently being educated at a local community centre but knows she must return to school.
She told the Sun: "My mum has said she will look after the baby so I can go to school. I don't know what I want to do with my life when I leave. I used to want to be a nursery nurse, but now I'm not so sure."
'Proud of my daughter'
Her mum said: "I'm not ashamed of my daughter at all - in fact, I'm proud of her for keeping the baby.
"I know she's worried what other people will say but she can walk out there with her head held high.
"At first I wasn't too happy about becoming a gran. But now I'm used to the idea. I'm really looking forward to having another baby in the house."
The Scottish Conservatives has called for society and families to unite to change attitudes towards sex following the news.
Find this story at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=385968&in_page_id=1774
(C)2006 Associated New Media

You will be glad to know after reading this that the folks in Britian have the same insight and intellegence about this matter as thier cousins across the pond. Namely....absolutely none. Read and barf....

13/03/06 - Femail section

Time to get tough on teenage mums by KATIE HAMPSON, Mail online
Samantha McCall fell pregnant at 16 and says she receives child tax credit, income support, child benefit and a £500 maternity grant.
The shocking extent of benefits made available to such gym-slip mums as Samantha were detailed in the Daily Mail's article today about the young mothers-to-be - all of whom have been likened to the teenage tearaway Vicky Pollard.
The girls interviewed, some as young as 14, are attending a £100,000 course funded by the taxpayer, where they have classes in everything from claiming benefits to writing a CV and understanding the dangers of smoking while pregnant.
Each 'student' is paid £30 a week to attend - and receives a £100 bonus if she completes the 16-week course without missing a lesson.

'Makes a mockery of the Government'
However, it is by providing these financial incentives that the government is effectively condoning under-age sex. It also puts a gloss on teenage motherhood, with the result being many youngsters consider it an attractive lifestyle.
Perhaps most crucially, handouts like these make a mockery of the Government's strategy aimed at cutting teenage pregnancies.
The Government has vowed to half the number of pregnant under-16s by 2010. But how can it achieve this goal when it is offering teenagers such 'help' as £500 maternity grants? These policies are simply encouraging pregnancies among young women.

'Benefits need to be curtailed'
A report published in the Daily Mail from the Prince's Trust revealed single teenage girls on sink estates admire their peers who have given birth and often seek to copy their status and acquire the free flat they think having a baby usually brings.
Such alarming attitudes should provide the government with a stark warning that welfare benefits to single teenage mothers need to be curtailed.
Britain has long had among the highest teen pregnancy rates in the EU. The initiatives introduced to tackle the problem are not working. But this is shrugged off by the Government, which claims the situation will improve.

'Say no to sex'
But how can it improve when teenagers are confronted at every turn with the notion that teenage sex is acceptable?
Teenage pregnancy plotlines are now are in all of our television soaps.
High Street stores are targetting youngsters with sexy underwear and makeup.
Then there's the government's promotion of abortion and contraception among school-aged children which in effect condones and encourages sexual activity.
The Government must change tack and adopt a tougher line.
The message to teenagers should be 'say no to sex'.

'Bring back old-fashioned values'
Advocating abstention is a policy which has worked in America. So, if America can cut teen pregnancies, why can't we?
Britain has effectively made under-age sex acceptable by handing out condoms to children and proposing confidential sex counselling to girls under 16.
Why aren't we reinforcing the meaning between sex and love and the importance of committment between sexual partners?
Education is vital in combatting teenage pregnancies, not the incentives for young mums-to-be that come with generous financial handouts.
Children must be provided with the confidence and techniques to resist peer pressure and be shown the negative side to having children so young.

'Don't back down'
I have just turned 27 years-old and yet I am adament we need to carefully re-introduce old-fashioned values such as modesty and dignity so they are no longer ridiculed.
It's not good enough for parents, or the government, to throw their hands up in their air and say the battle can't be won.
Our role as responsible parents is to tell our teenagers that sex under 16 is wrong and against their best interests. Terrify them with the consequences, show them examples of the uphill battle children who have children face. And don't back down.
Meanwhile, the government needs to back parents up with policies that have the power to change and reinforce more traditional social attitudes.
The promotion of 'safe sex' is important for teenagers, especially once they turn 16.
But the 'say no to sex' approach is the message we need to get through to young people now.

Find this story at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=379738&in_page_id=1879 ©2006 Associated New Media

Where do we start..........well, I won;t say much, since the handful of people in both countries who do have a brain can see through the folly of this.

Just a couple of queries, tho'. First...you want to cut off benefits to kids? Innocent bystanders in all of this? Fine. Do that. Just don't write to me when the product of your prudery crawls through your window and steals your telly.

And as for say no to kids. How do you expect your kids to do what you wouldn't at age whatever. Once and for all, your kids are having sex. Have been. Always will. Probably you did. Nothing changes.

What MUST change is the rampant erotophobia that permeates thoughts like "just say no." Tell that to a 16 years-old's hormones. Maybe you might have dodged that bullet, staying a virgin through high school, but I would surely like to see your high school picture to see if that virginity was in any danger.

Unless we get REAL about teen's sexuality, there will be more children having children, among other things. Maybe, instead of calling sexuality this evil thing that mus be avoided at all costs, maybe we should be truthful and tell our children how wonderful sex really is, but with that comes responsibility. That pregnancy CAN happen the first time. That you may not be ready for sex physically or emotionally. But most important, if something does happen, you have a loving mom and dad with you to support you and care for you all the way.

But for that to happen, we need a seachange on thought of gargantuan porportions. A total elimimation of erotophobia from all segments of our sociey and life.

They'll find those WMD's in Iraq before then. Way before.

1 comment:

joeymiller74315314 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.